jina-cee logo Joint Institute for Nuclear Astrophysics    
   Contact Us | Home | Search | Site Map
Virtual Journal | Tools & Data | Highlights | Jobs | Events | Sign Up  
 For Scientists
 For Visitors
 - Visitors Information
 - Visitor Form
 - Travel Preparation
 - Visitors List
 - International Appointees
 JINA Underground


Travel Preparation -- Michigan State University

If you have not already done so please fill out the JINA-CEE visitor application:   http://www.jinaweb.org/html/visitorform.html


There are a number of requirements imposed by the funding agencies in order to be able to reimburse airfare. Travelers must book the lowest priced coach/economy class airfare available. Travelers also must always travel with US affiliate carriers provided they serve the particular route (this is the "fly america act"). Note that it is not sufficient that the aircraft is a US carrier's aircraft, or that the flight number is a US carrier's flight number, but the ticket must be issued by a US carrier. In times of code sharing this is non-trivial. Therefore, we require that flights are either booked through JINA-CEE/MSU staff (see below) or that JINA-CEE/MSU staff has approved a particular flight before you book it. When we book your flight it can also be direct billed, which simplifies the process considerably. Please do not book your own flight without contacting JINA-CEE/MSU staff first.

Be sure to keep all airline tickets/receipts (including you boarding passes), or if you have an e-ticket we will also need a copy of 2 of the following elements as support:
  - on-line/e-mail print out;
  - copy of credit card or bank statement showing airfare charges;
  - passenger receipt ( this is obtained during check-in or at the KIOSK machines. See the samples) PLEASE NOTE: boarding passes are not considered supporting documentation.

Other travel expenses

Usually it is clear from your communication with your JINA-CEE contact whether JINA-CEE covers your travel expenses and what kind of expenses it covers.

If you are a JINA-CEE visitor, you need to go through JINA-CEE/MSU staff for all local arrangements, especially lodging.

If JINA-CEE reimburses your travel elsewhere, note that there are federal limits on maximum lodging expenses depending on location. Rental cars are not usually covered and require a special justification. If your hotel is on the expensive side, or if you think you need a rental car, please contact JINA-CEE/MSU staff in advance.

Contact for JINA-CEE/MSU

If you have any questions, or if you are in doubt about any of the requirements please don't hesitate to contact the JINA-CEE/MSU staff: Dawn Welch ( welch@nscl.msu.edu ).

| Disclaimer